Sunday, February 21, 2010

Roma

Last stop - ROME.

In my opinion, Rome is the one place in the world that truly embodies the meaning of the word "Awesome". As in - awe inspiring. 


It was my second time in Rome, but I could go there a million times and never be bored or any less fascinated. Here goes:


Important Life Lesson Learned #9:  Never look a gladiator in the eyes.


The Colosseum is my single favorite sight to see. Plus we all know how I have a pretty sick and twisted mind - the whole idea of the Colosseum is just so bomb to me.


Even though Lana and I spent an entire day wandering around the Colosseum two years ago, I of course had to do another tour. And I learned new fun facts:


-  At concession stands outside of Colosseum, they sold little vials of gladiator blood. These were marketed as fertility enhancers.  Apparetly, gladiators were so manly that they could impregnate a woman just by making eye contact.


- At intermissions, horribly non-politically-correct events took place such as...
Midget vs. Midget
Midget vs. Cripple
Cripple vs. Clown
oy..


-Executions of criminals were performed as plays, where they had the criminal play the role of the character to be murdered. How do you convince a man to act out a biblical role as his death sentence? Wowsers.




Too bad the Vatican stole all of the Colosseum's gold and marble... 


Apart from the Colosseum, we also toured the palatine. Then we spent a few hours just sitting around by the Roman Forum, the Pantheon, and the Trevi Fountain... people watching and basking in the glory of the ruins. 





Absolutely amazing.


Important Life Lesson Learned #10:  Giant Bonsai Trees do not exist.


One cool part about Rome is that all over the city are these really wicked looking trees that for whatever reason remind me of the Lion King.




Dont be fooled! Apparently every year they go around and chop off all of the lower branches of these trees to give them their edgy look.


This process also essentially renders the trees useless - they no longer provide shade or shelter. But hey - all in the name of fashion, eh?


Important Life Lesson Learned #11:  Wasted Americans will do just about anything... when in Rome.


I didn't realize ridiculous MTV style body shots actually happened in real life. I was mistaken




Fat Tuesday in Rome. What the fuckkk. And NO that is absolutely not me. But its still pretty hilarious.


I guess thats it for Roma.




Viva Italia!

No comments:

Post a Comment