Thursday, February 25, 2010

Baking Woes

MSTRKRFT - Easy Love

Last night, Shira and I were challenged to a cook / bake off. They cooked. We baked. Competition on.


We all know that my baking skills are nonexistent, BUT Shira is a master of baking and I came armed with the most bomb dot com recipe of all time.

S'mores cookies.


Amazing, right? I would know firsthand. Lana and I made these bad boys for our drunken NYE guests this year and they were a super smash hit. "Wicked good" as the brits would say.

I honestly thought it was in the bag.

The competition was so-so. They just made some lame dishes like duck and bruschetta and delicious cranberry sauce and other not-so-intense things. 


Jokes jokes. It was definitely the most amazing / delicious / best meal I've had yet in Europe. That is, apart from every single meal I ate in Italia. But thats some unfair comparison.


So of course, the cooking turned out fabulously, and diner was delicious. Then it was Shira's and my turn to show them up with our mad baking skills. Right?

Nope. Disaster...

5 Reasons why baking in the UK is a complete joke:

1.  They do not have sticks of butter. (?!)

2.  Everything is measured by weight rather than by volume. 1 cup of flour? No can do.

3.  The concept of "graham cracker" is nonexistent here. They don't even know what s'mores are!! Depression city.

4.  Apparently shit cooks differently at different altitudes. So you can't use American recipes here because cook time is different, amount of baking soda necessary is different, temp is different. Ayayyayy!

5.  ALL ovens in london are prehistoric. ALL OF THEM. I have yet to find an oven with digital temperature setting. How do they survive here?!


We managed to make something somewhat resembling smores cookie dough. With digestives substituted for graham crackers, of course.  And the cookies actually turned out pretty stellar.

A little burnt on the outside and raw in the middle, but hey, nobodys perfect!


Too bad we didn't have them around last night as a post-rage drunken snack.  Delicious.  And if you want the recipe (which you obviously do), here's the link.  

Shira and I still won though because we brought over some delicious 3 pound wine to go with our cookies.


Please don't ask why there is a chilli pepper on the wine bottle.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to think that we were all winners in the competition of "best meal I've had thus far in London!"
    But I mean can mouthwatering duck and bruchetta cure hangovers?? I don't think soo...
    Result!

    ReplyDelete