Saturday, February 20, 2010

BOMB.IT - Firenze

You know you're in Europe when they are giving out free shots at the airport.


Excellent marketing, Absolut Tropics. Definitely provided for a more enjoyable flight.


Anyways, I've finally arrived back in London after our week-long Italia treck. It was so so amazing and we did wayyy to much for me to detail, but I'm going to post the highlights city by city and by life lesson learned...


Important Life Lesson Learned #1:  When on vacation, sleep in.


Vacationing with friends instead of family has given me the opportunity to discover that sightseeing is always better in the afternoon, once the rest of the tourists have dispersed.




We hit up the Duomo in the late, late afternoon. This was awesome for two reasons. First - zero lines, and we basically had the place to ourselves. Second - we climbed to the top (about 475 steps this time - more than Vienna) right at sunset. AMAZING.




I was pretty much in pain about halfway up. There were areas with ridiculously steep practically vertical steps. We did get to rest right below the dome, however, where we got an excellent view of the amazing painted ceiling.




It boggles my mind that people were able to paint on that ceiling. Completion of the painting on the dome took 11 YEARS. 11 years of some artist's life spent on scaffolding and ladders painting upside down. Ridiculous.
(I just think this pic is kind of amusing / sad at the same time)





And of course, the 360 degree view from the top was breathtaking. We stayed up there for a while and watched the sun set. 




And of course, the bells starting ringing as the sun was going down. It was beyond perfect.


I was about to type that going to the Duomo was one of my favorite things in Italy - but then I remembered that literally every single day I did something that was "my favorite". 




Important Life Lesson Learned #2:  Beware of crazy drivers on curvy mountain roads.



Since Andy, Shira, and I had all already been to florence and seen all of the touristy stuff / museums, we decided we could pass up the David to spend a day walking around Fiesole, Tuscany. 


Best decision of life. First of all, there was a CHOCOLATE FAIR going on. yummmmm.



Chocolate and heels are pretty much my two favorite things in the world. Chocolate heels? Bomb.


Other than that, we basically just spent a few hours hiking up and down the mountain. We almost got hit several times by manic cars zooming around corners (hence the life lesson), but it was worth it for the awesome views.






And as per Life Lesson #1, we even got to witness the Tuscan sunset.



Important Life Lesson Learned #3:  Pubes make for excellently classy wall decoration.





Important Life Lesson Learned #4:  Meat is more delicious when you see it being cut from the animals leg.


Most Americans that visit Florence are told to pay a visit to a sandwich place called Oil Shoppe for "the best paninis in Florence". 

LIES.

I have personally been to Oil Shoppe, and while it is indeed delicious, the real deal paninis lie just around the corner at Antico Noe. We waited in the line for almost an hour, but it was for sure worth it.


All of the ingredients are perfectly fresh. And all of the meant and cheese is cut or shredded right in front of you when you order it. For example, I ordered a panini with Prosciutto, so of course he whips out a pig leg and slices off the meat for me.

We went back here for lunch again the second day - if you make it, try a #9 or #14. Trust me.


Important Life Lesson Learned #5:  Blueberry + Steak = BOMB.IT


I went to Aqua Al Due with Lana when I was in Italy two years ago. It was the #1 place on my list of things to do in Italia this time around. 


Aqua Al Due is famous for their Blueberry Steak. Although it doesn't sound very intuitive, you have to try for yourself.


Words cannot describe.


Important Life Lesson Learned #6:  Eating exorbitant amounts of food in Italy is perfectly acceptable.


They had waffles covered with nutella and they had kinder gelato.

Naturally, I had to have both.


(not sure if anyone made it through that post buttt sorrento and rome to come soon!)

2 comments:

  1. uni, you look like you're having so much fun!!!!! When i was flying out of Santiago, the duty free's were having samples of all their alcohols...i don't really remember boarding the flight...hahaha. miss you! xomunch

    julieann

    ReplyDelete
  2. between the blueberry steaks and the chocolate shoes... my life would be complete.

    JEALOUSYYYYyyyy

    ReplyDelete