Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Moose.

For most of my American friends, turning 18 years old is a pretty big fucking deal.

Adulthood.

You can vote. You can sign forms without parental consent. You can have your own bank account. Anyone can "legally" sleep with you. A person's 18th birthday marks their transition from childhood to adulthood.  And as with most transitions in cultures and societies around the world, this special occasion is marked by an important right of passage.  A little something I like to call... 

The burning of the moose.



Okay okay, you Americans reading might be like - what the f is she talking about? Let me assure you - although you might not have a formal name for it, we all partake in this ritual in some way or another. 

The retirement of Abercrombie and Fitch from your wardrobe. When you pick up a cute article of clothing, realize it has a little moose on the lapel, and immediately trash it (or donate it, of course). When A&F and Hollister go from "cool" to "convenient". You wear it because you already own it, not because you're making a fashion statement.



Why am I bringing this up? In the UK, Abercrombie is considered HIGH STREET fashion. For adults. For fashionable and goodlooking men. I have met some really cute guys that one day show up wearing the classic "ABER"-zipper-"CROMBIE" hoodie that was oh so popular during my freshman year of high school.


Anyways - I've just found this really amusing and wanted to share. I will throw in that I do, of course, still own a few moose-laden articles of clothing. And yes, I even wear them sometimes. And many many of my amazing and wonderfully dressed friends, girls and guys alike, still wear their A&F t-shirts, hoodies, or jackets on occasion. After all, we did spend a good amount of money purchasing them back in the day. But as far as Abercrombie being on the list of top shopping destinations for american twenty-somethings? Not so much.

4 comments:

  1. Kate: omg funny story about abercrombie
    there was an abercrombie party at centro last night
    hilarious

    (centro is a random club we went to)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted a pair of hollister jeans but my butt was too big. depressionnnnnnnnn. I don't want them anymore haha

    miss you!
    love,
    Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps- in case you were wondering, I read all your posts religiously and am so jealous of your life!

    ReplyDelete